Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Cadet School
 U47.org Forum :: The Cadet School
Subject Topic: Introductions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:06 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

Hi Peter

Thank you so much for the correction on the spelling it is much apreciated. As you say not a lot but a start, and to be honest it gives me a better feel now as to what I am lookiong for. I have to admit I feel a bit silly now as I never associated R Waal with the actual River Waal, I was rather stupidly working oin a place name called R Waal. ( doe ) .

This is a side question actualy which you may be able to help me on. I looked last night at the google sat photos of the area and noticed what looks obvious like man made jetty all down the river. I am curious as to how they was built and the reason. I have tried to find actual pictures of them but as yet unable to do so.

Again thank you so much for help

Graham

Back to Top View Graham01's Profile Search for other posts by Graham01 Visit Graham01's Homepage

dbauer
Bootsmannmaat
Bootsmannmaat

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 01:42 | IP Logged Quote dbauer

Hello Graham!

There are some good pics of the Biber(Beaver) on www.Uboat.net. Look at the Gallery section. I also found a good article on the Biber on MSN Search engine. Hope this will help.

Best Regards,

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 11:42 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

Hi dbauer

Thank you for your post here, The pictures are good thank you so much I usually try there first as well and this time did not.

Can you tell me the URL of the article you found?

Thank you again

Best regards

Graham

Back to Top View Graham01's Profile Search for other posts by Graham01 Visit Graham01's Homepage

Pavel
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 00:08 | IP Logged Quote Pavel

From a historical standpoint I'm not surprised to hear that the Commonwealth had some Army-based antisubmarine groups patrolling the canals and river systems throughout the Nederland area, especially after the very hard-fought campaign by 1 Canadian Army to open the Scheldt Estuary area to allow traffic through into Arnhem.

I remember reading in several places that Bibers saw use up and down the Scheldt in an attempt to stem the flow of Allied supply ships into Antwerp.
Back to Top View Pavel's Profile Search for other posts by Pavel

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:34 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

HI Pavel

Thank you for your responce, I tend to agree with you and whith what you say I can now have yet another area to look into.

Graham

dbauer
Bootsmannmaat
Bootsmannmaat

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 16:11 | IP Logged Quote dbauer

Hello Graham,

I am sorry  I don't have that info. Good Luck with your search. A year or so ago I built a Type VIIC/41 with two Bibers on it.  The Boot was U-295. They used the U-Boot as a test bed for a porposed operation to Russia with the Bibers to enter the harbour and sink as many ships as possible. A great idea but the Bibers were damaged during the testing and the operation was scratched.

Regards,

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 16:16 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

HI dbauer

Thanks and no problem, The model sounds great, and I have read so many reports about the Bieber been damaged while pigy backing across the seas.

It is a poignant thaught that if all of these boats managed to get to there destination and the desighn faults had been rectified just how dangerous they would of been. Sadly so many lives where lost.

Graham

dbauer
Bootsmannmaat
Bootsmannmaat

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 18:30 | IP Logged Quote dbauer

Hello Graham!

Yes, the fortunes of war.  By 1942 Germany was already feeling the effects of 3 years of war.  Too bad as you say so many lives were lost in the fighting of another 3 years.

Regards,

trigger
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 16:59 | IP Logged Quote trigger

Graham01 wrote:

This is a side question actualy which you may be able to help me on. I looked last night at the google sat photos of the area and noticed what looks obvious like man made jetty all down the river. I am curious as to how they was built and the reason. I have tried to find actual pictures of them but as yet unable to do so.

Mmm, could you post the google eart link, so I can see what you mean.
Back to Top View trigger's Profile Search for other posts by trigger Visit trigger's Homepage

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 10:10 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

Hi Trigger

Thanks yes will do later today my friend

G

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version